Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Start Date: ASAP
Objective 1 - Supports the formulation and implementation of advocacy and communications plans for projects.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Liaise closely with Advocacy Manager to develop and support the integration of new communication approaches, tools and techniques into AAH programming in the State.
- Create messaging materials designed to target beneficiaries and relevant actors on the design and delivery of AAH programming.
- Document and share good practices and lessons learnt from the programme’s activities through the development of regular updates reports, case studies, briefs and IEC materials
- Support staff capacity building, particularly the Behaviour Change Communication staff in use of communication tools, materials and approaches.
- Undertake regular visits to all intervention sites to monitor communication messaging, use of tools and materials and to identify challenges and solutions.
- Manage image and video library for communication, reporting and other needs.
- Organization and implementation of the celebration of International/national days and campaigns (Global Handwashing Day etc).
- Working with the Deputy Advocacy Manager, liaise with media outlets to ensure that the appropriate information and messages are reaching the public, including preparing press releases.
- Provide necessary support to the institutional capacity building of government stakeholders and partners as per AAH mandate.
Objective 2 -Participate in regular external meetings at LGA and State levels when required.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Raise awareness and knowledge about AAH mandate, activities and principles
- Raise awareness about humanitarian principles
- Represent AAH at State Working groups and other coordination meetings when required by the Deputy Advocacy Manager
- Provide Coordination team with regular updates on the political and policy developments in the State as well as humanitarian updates and state level conversations.
- Undertake additional coordination as requested by the Advocacy Manager and Area Coordinator.
Objective 3-Collect evidence based information and testimonies that AAH can use to inform programming and advocacy.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Internal & External Relationship
- Collect and provide evidence based information, specifically around challenges and concerns, to inform state and national level advocacy.
- Collect testimonies and stories from the beneficiaries that can be used for advocacy at a national and international level.
- Organize learning, knowledge sharing and capitalization workshops to enable lessons learned to be used in future program designs as well as build institutional capacity of external stakeholders.
- Advocacy Manager: hierarchical relationship- reporting, exchange of information, collaboration, coordination.
- Area Coordinator: Exchange of information and collaboration on program, operational and security issues
- Operations Support Coordinator: Collaboration and exchange of information on relations with Government Institutions at district level, operational and security issues
- Senior Advocacy and Protection Advisor: work very closely to provide information, specifically around challenges and concerns within the humanitarian response.
- Advocacy Manager: Exchange of information, collaboration, coordination on early recovery, policy and development agenda
- Other Managers: Collaborate to ensure exchange of information, collaboration and coordination. In addition, oversee technical oversight, technical support, coaching.
- Governmental and non-governmental partners : exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on choice of technical options
- International and Local Aid Organizations : exchange of information
- Donor representatives: hosting field visits, exchange of information
- Cluster and other coordination forums.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree from reputed university in Mass Communications & Journalism, Media Studies, Communications Strategy, Development Communication or relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience at the national/state level in providing communication packages to promote the activities of organization, preferably in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive.
- Excellent team player.
- Previous experience with advocacy or communication duties.
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word) and graphic designing.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Commitment to AAH mission, values and policy.
- Familiar with Northeast Nigeria context.
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
Application Closing Date
- Previous experience with AAH.
- Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri.
- Administrative and management competence would be an asset.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Friday; 11th January, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online